Romero Rodrigues started a daring project with two friends from the university in 1998. Buscapé arose when Rodrigo Borges, one of his friends, was looking for a printer model on the Internet. After much research, he could not find any information on the price or technical specifications of the product. Therefore, the three friends concluded that it would be an opportunity to explore and decided to create a business that could solve this need.
With only 300 reais of investment, 100 reais from each friend, they started a company that was sold in 2009 for a value of 374 million. Romero continued at the helm of Buscapé until 2015, as CEO. Under his command, the company reached 1,200 employees and impacted 30 million consumers on a monthly basis. However, he accomplished much more than that. He was one of those responsible for changing the way of researching prices and also of consuming products on the internet. We currently call this digital platforms.
Do you want to know more about this topic? meuSucesso will reveal its entire impact trajectory starting on August 9. For now, learn more about the new character and also keep an eye out for the 6 free lessons that we will be offering.
[Quero me cadastrar para as aulas grátis]
The platform business has grown year after year. Whether looking for products or services, this demand has become popular, especially in times of pandemic.
According to a study by All iN and Social Miner, 42.9 million consumers bought through digital platforms. Of them, almost half were new consumers.
In another study by Social Miner, this trend is noticeable: among those surveyed, 48% said they buy online because it is cheaper; for 46%, the process is much more practical and faster. Another highlight of the survey is the fact that 39% are attracted to online offers.
The so-called digital platforms make up the new economy that has been transforming the way people consume and interact. They create connections and make life much easier for consumers, but not only for them: according to Romero, platform businesses provide greater opportunities for small and medium-sized businesses, reducing the distance between competitors. This means that it is possible to do a successful business with little, as we saw in the career of Romero Rodrigues.
Romero Rodrigues’ journey
Romero has always been passionate about entrepreneurship: “I believe there are two truly transformative forces that make the world a better place: education and entrepreneurship,” he says.
This belief guided the steps during Buscapé’s time. With a curious mind and a desire to do well, Romero was always willing to risk the game and win. His 360º vision of the business world made him one of the great leaders of the new economy, being responsible for making Buscapé synonymous with price comparison on the internet.
However, he had to learn to deal with detachment and leave the business. With that, a new challenge was opened: Romero found himself at the helm of RedPoint Ventures, the first investment fund in Silicon Valley in Brazil, which currently has more than 1,200 million invested in startups.
With someone so innovative and with a consolidated trajectory in the market, being recognized for his pioneering spirit in the digital market, what can Romero Rodrigues teach you?
What to learn from Romero Rodrigues?
With his experience in creating businesses on a platform, Romero knows what it is to start something from scratch, without resources, facing all the obstacles that a business of this format offers.
Understanding that the platform business tends to grow even more, this topic should be on the agenda of all those who seek opportunities to grow in the digital environment and increase their market share.
See what you can learn from Romero Rodrigues:
– What are platform businesses;
– Differences between conventional models and platforms;
– Advantages and challenges applied to small entrepreneurs;
– How to analyze the potential of the business to become a platform;
– Challenges to generate income from digital;
– Types of prices for platforms;
– Platform design assumptions to facilitate interactions;
– How to plan and structure the launch of platforms;
– The importance of monetization models;
– Steps to break even;
– The relationship between business self-assessment and the reality of the market;
– Challenges and opportunities of mergers and acquisitions for the company;
– Stages of the platform life cycle;
– Metrics for evaluating competitiveness;
– How to manage the interests of consumers and producers;
– How to diagnose when to expand the platform;
– How to identify when and how to expand the business;
– The challenge of facing the main market players;
– How to differentiate yourself in digital with fewer resources;
– Aspects to analyze the strategies of the competition;
– Tools for the governance of the platform;
– Disruptive companies: advantages and disadvantages;
– Challenges to undertake on digital platforms in Brazil;
– Trends in the platform market.
It’s a wealth of content that has accumulated over these 20+ years of experience that can definitely help you create, monetize, and scale through a platform business.
We hope to see you in this new Case Study, “Efeito Rede”, the successful career of Romero Rodrigues.